Saturday, April 21, 2012

Puffed wheat cake is one of my favourite treats.  One day at work about a year ago, we were talking about recipes and such.  I mentioned that I loved puffed wheat cake but that I didn't like making it because my cakes would either turn out hard or crumbly.  That is when a co-worker let me in on the secret of perfect puffed wheat cake - MARSHMALLOWS!   I have since tweaked a recipe from Saskatchewan 4-H Cookbook to come up with a fail-proof recipe. 

Perfect Puffed Wheat
1 c. margarine or butter
1 c. corn syrup
2 c. brown sugar
5 large white marshmallows
6 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
10 heaping cups puffed wheat

Begin by melting margarine.  As margarine melts, add marshmallows.  As marshmallows begin to break down, add corn syrup, brown sugar and cocoa.  Bring to a full boil.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla.  Mix in puffed wheat.  Spread mixture in greased 9x13 pan.  Let set.  Enjoy!!!!!!

* Often times, I make half this recipe in a 8x8 pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment